We Support The Long Live The Local Campaign!
Published: March 26, 2019
Now it is now secret that here in the UK the pub industry is struggling and pubs are under more pressure than they’ve ever been. The UK has one of the highest Beer tax rates in Europe, and is three times the average in the EU. The government collects £3.5 billion every year in Beer Duty, as well as almost £10 billion in other taxes on pubs and brewers. Today one in every three pounds spent in pubs goes straight to the taxman. Along with Business rates and VAT, this means that Beer Duty is putting pubs under enormous pressure. Resulting in every day pubs are closing their doors for good.
Some alarming stats for you:
- £1 in every £3 of money made by pubs goes straight to the taxman.
- Which on average is £140,000 per pub.
- The pub industry supports nearly 900,000 jobs.
- Half of all tourists to the UK visit a pub during their stay.
- 1 in 4 of us fall in love in a pub (I can vouch for this)
But where do Get Those Lyrics come in? Well for many bands and artists starting out on their musical journey rely on pubs and bars to book them to get them noticed. So if there are no pubs then this means it will be even harder for acts to come to fruition and get themselves noticed. So support your local pub wherever you may be in the UK and sign the petition to cut beer tax here.